COMPOSER NEWS AND EVENTS
• THE PACIFIC CHORALE commissioned Gary to write a new finale for their annual "Tis the Season" gala, presented this year as a virtual performance. Gary's "We Wish You a Merry Virtual Christmas" can be heard on December 20, 2020 at 5 pm PST by clicking here.
• THE COLORADO SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA has a 'virtual stage' for 2020, and their annual "Colorado Christmas" presentation will include several of Gary's original works. Devin DeSantis sings "Twas the Night Before Christmas" and "The Song in Our Hearts," with Taylor Martin conducting the orchestra, the Colorado Symphony Chorus, and the Colorado Children's Chorale. The presentation begins Friday, December 18, 2020 at 5 pm MST, and can be accessed by clicking here.
• THE SAN DIEGO SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA will perform three of Gary's works as part of their "Noel, Noel" program, available as a free streaming video first airing December 18, 2020 at 7 pm PST and on demand following that. Grammy award-winning vocalist Jason Mraz sings and narrates Fry's setting of "Twas the Night Before Christmas," and Broadway star Storm Lever sings Fry's arrangements of "Go Tell It on the Mountain" and Gene Scheer's beautiful song "Christmas Once More." Register for your free link by clicking here.
• THE CHARLOTTE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA perform their "At Home for the Holidays" virtual concert, available online through December 28, 2020. The program, conducted by Christopher James Lees, includes six works by Gary, including the world premiere of his setting of "A Carolina Christmas Carol" (story by Charlie Daniels), a Celtic-inflected version of "Joy to the World" featuring two violin soloists, an arrangement of "Silent Night" featuring solo cello, and an ethereal setting of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" featuring harp and piano solos. Tickets for an on-demand viewing link are available by clicking here.
• PRESTON HOLLOW PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (Dallas, TX) presented the premiere of the oratorio Canticles: How Can I Keep from Singing? by Gary Fry and Patricia Evans on March 8, 2020. The oratorio is for vocal soloists, double SATB chorus, chamber orchestra, Celtic ensemble, and narrator.
• SIAMSA NA NGAEL, or "Celtic Celebration," is an annual event at Chicago's Orchestra Hall staged by Old St. Patrick's Church and featuring the Metropolis Symphony Orchestra, the Old St. Patrick's Chorus, an ensemble of Celtic instruments, vocal soloists, and the Trinity Irish Dancers. Gary's arrangements have been featured for more than ten years, and once again new arrangements have been commissioned for this year's event, March, 2020.
• THE KANSAS CITY SYMPHONY presented the premiere performance of Gary's Come and Sing a Song with Me, commissioned by Elena Lence Talley for the orchestra's educational programs, in November 2019. The song, in English and Spanish, is especially unique in that it is being offered in the spirit of unity at no cost to any performing organization. It has a flexible format, for vocal soloist, or unison voices, or chorus, with orchestra (some instruments optional). For more information, use the "Contact" button above.
• THE CHARLOTTE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA THE MAGIC OF CHRISTMAS featuring the Christmas song commissioned by the Symphony, Christmastime in Charlotte. Gary is arranger/composer for the production, running through December 22, 2019, at the Knight Theater, conducted by CSO resident conductor Christopher James Lees.
• TODD GUSTAFSON'S TO THE ENDS OF EARTH is a PBS nature special program with incredible imagery from the renowned photo safari leader, photographer, and videographer, with narration featuring world-famous naturalist Jane Goodall. Gary arranged, orchestrated, and conducted music composed by Todd Gustafson inspired by his adventures. Broadcast on PBS stations around the country in October 2018.
• THE OKANAGAN SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA (Canada) commissioned a blockbuster closer for their annual and very popular Spooktacular! Halloween orchestra and chorus concerts. Gary composed a thirteen-minute work based on Edgar Allen Poe's chilling poems The Raven and Lenore, interpolating texts from the Latin requiem mass, to create The Raven: Requiem for Lenore. Rosemary Thomson conducted the premiere in October 2017.
• THE CONTINUO ARTS FOUNDATION celebrates their tenth anniversary with a gala concert on May 20, 2017 in Summit, NJ. They have invited Gary to conduct two of his works with their orchestra and choruses: Hope (for which Continuo Arts gave the premiere performance five years ago in Carnegie Hall), and If You Believe in Music. For more information about Continuo Arts and this program, click here: Continuo Arts website.
• REDEEMED, presented by Chicago's Provision Theater, is a world-premiere play written by Timothy Gregory. It is the story of Nixon's Watergate 'hatchet man' Chuck Colson, recapping his life, career, and journey to faith, and features incidental music by Gary Fry. The production at the Athenaeum Theater runs from mid-April through May 2017. Tickets are available by clicking here: Redeemed tickets.
• Sense8, the Netflix original series directed by Lana Wachowski, called on Gary to arrange a featured montage section of the special Christmastime episode (released December 23, 2016). The arrangement of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" was for the famous Apollo Chorus of Chicago directed by Stephen Alltop.
• UNSHACKLED, one of the longest-running continuously broadcast radio programs in history, commissioned an underscore for their website trailer. Gary 's sound design and original music for the two-minute piece includes two short excerpts of the program's signature organ music. To view the trailer, click here: https://unshackled.org.
• SUNY POTSDAM and the Crane School of Music celebrated the college's bicentennial with Gary's Awake, Celestial Airs! for chorus and orchestra. The commission's premiere performance took place in Potsdam, New York, on April 30, 2016, with a second performance at Carnegie Hall in New York City on May 8, 2016.
• COLORADO SYMPHONY CHORUS - For their summer 2016 European tour, the Chorus directed by Duain Wolfe commissioned Hallelujah, Rejoice! The premiere was in Fauré's home church, L'Eglise de la Madeleine, in Paris, France on July 3, 2016, with additional performances in Strasbourg and Munich.
• HEIDI - A world premiere play by Timothy Gregory, based on the famous children's book, includes songs and incidental music by Gary. See www.provisiontheater.org for more information.
• CONTAINMENT - A new television series on the CW Network, directed by David Nutter, includes Gary's arrangement of "Lean on Me" in its pilot episode, which aired April 19, 2016.
• ATTENTION DEFICIT THEATRE - This new comedy sketch web series from the CW Seed network, featuring Jaime King, includes some music composed and produced by Gary. See it now on the internet here: http://cwseed.com